Textbook Rental Program
The Textbook Rental program provides another option for students looking to save money on their textbook costs.
All eligible textbooks can be rented, with the exception of workbooks and custom course packets.
- Students opting to rent their textbooks must agree to the terms of the rental agreement.
- In accepting the terms of the rental agreement, the student accepts responsibility to use the book and return it to the College Bookstore in an acceptable, salable condition (light to moderate highlight and underlining is acceptable; no mildew, wet, or torn books) by the rental due date. Determination of acceptable condition is at the discretion of the College Bookstore.
- The textbook rental fee is refundable only when returned by the posted textbook refund date for the term.
- The rented textbook must be returned by the posted textbook refund date that it is rented for.
- Students opting to rent a textbook authorize the College Bookstore to charge their student account for a replacement copy as well as a $10 non-refundable processing fee.
Rental Due Dates
Fall 2020: December 15, 2020 | Winter 2021: February 5, 2021 | Spring 2021: May 25, 2021
- As a courtesy, we will send a reminder notice to the email address you provided during your rental checkout and on your rental agreement. However, it is your responsibility to return the book by the due date, even if you do not receive this email. Remember that rental books are due by the rental due date.
- If you do not return your rental books by the rental due date, you will be charged the full replacement value of the book, plus a $10 non-refundable processing fee. This replacement cost and late fee will be in addition to the rental fee paid when the book was rented.
- Rental textbooks can be returned to the College Bookstore any time during the semester the textbooks were obtained. Rental books are due the last day of Final Exams for the term in which they were rented. Rentals must be returned to a College Bookstore cashier.
- All Rentals must be returned or accompanied by the rental customers’ name, Student ID#, phone #, and email address. Rentals that are returned without the proper customer information cannot be processed, and will be charged a replacement fee.
- With the campus still being closed to students, rental returns will be accepted 2 ways for the December 15th due date:
- We will accept rental returns via Fedex, provided they are post-marked before the due date. Please make sure to check your rental reminder email for the FedEx link for a free shipping label to send your rental books back to us. You can put multiple books in one box.
- You will be able to drop off your rental books using our 24/7 drop slot, located ON WALL OF STUDENT CENTER NEAR LOADING DOCK. MAKE SURE BOOKS ARE INDIVIDUALLY MARKED (With your name, HCC ID#, Phone #, and Email) & BAGGED WHEN PUTTING IN DROP SLOT.
For textbook rental assistance or to request a list of outstanding rentals, please e-mail email@example.com and include the following information: Name, Student ID, and Email
HCC has partnered with RedShelf to bring students the ability to purchase digital versions of textbooks at a lower price. eBooks are accessed for online viewing are refundable within 7 days of purchase, providing no more than 20% of the book has been read or printed.
eBooks from RedShelf are both lifetime ownership@ and subscription-based.
- You can access the eTextbook on one computer only at any given time.
- Download subscription is not available in .PDF format
- You are NOT required to install software to download the eTextbook.
**Please note that E-Books are not eligible for buyback**